A Poetry Daily Prose Feature:
"It was a dog that introduced me to the work of Ronald Johnson. Or rather it was the dog's owner, a friend and poet, who—having named his dog Ronald Johnson—ensured that I'd never forget that rather forgettable name, or that one could yell "Ronald Johnson" into a field. Years later I'd meet a Milton scholar who had never heard of Johnson, a fact which, though it still surprises me today, was downright heartbreaking at the time. I tried to describe Radi os (a sustained erasure of Paradise Lost) to him in earnest, but kept leaping into my different theories for how best to understand the book. More so than with any other poem I admired, I didn't know where to start."—Derek Mong, Ten New Ways to Read Ronald Johnson's Radi os
Poetry Daily Version 2.0 for iPhone and iPod Touch is now available!
Read the daily poem, save favorites, check news links, and more, even when you're on the go. Visit the iTunes Store to download the app, and let us know what you think!
Now you can follow PD on Twitter!
We'll keep you posted on key features and news as they appear on PD.
"A Personal Laureate"
David Tomas Martinez, Rigoberto González, Sandra Cisneros, Eduardo C. Corral, and others reflect on Juan Felipe Herrera's appointment as Poet Laureate of the United States. (Los Angeles Review of Books)
Recently Arrived Titles
These just in... Highlighted titles may be purchased from Poetry Daily / Amazon.com. A complete list of all books and journals recently received at Poetry Daily is also available.
- The Pawnbroker's Daughter: A Memoir, Maxine Kumin (W. W. Norton & Company, Inc.)
- And Short the Season (new in paperback), Maxine Kumin (W. W. Norton & Company, Inc.)
- Application for Release from the Dream, Tony Hoagland (Graywolf Press)
- Archives of the Air, John Morgan (Salmon Poetry)
- Demeter Does Not Remember, Mary Madec (Salmon Poetry)
- Terrace, Richard Skinner (Smokestack Books)
- Swan and Jack-Knife, Nikia Leopold (Main Street Rag)
- When We Were Almost Like Men, Martin Hayes (Smokestack Books)
- Crazing, Ruth Thompson (Saddle Road Press)
- Woman with Crows, Ruth Thompson (Saddle Road Press)
- According to Discretion, Allen Jih and Adam Vines (Unicorn Press)
- This Is the Homeland, Mary Hickman (Ahsahta Press)
- Garments Against Women, Anne Boyer (Ahsahta Press)
- Trafficke, Susan Tichy (Ahsahta Press)
- Maninbo: Peace & War, Ko Un, tr. Brother Anthony of Taize & Lee Sang-Wha (Bloodaxe Books)
- Murder at Jagged Rock: A Translation of Sophocles' Women of Trachis, Keyne Cheshire (The Word Works)
- Catherine Breese Davis: On the Life & Work of an American Master, Martha Collins, Kevin Prufer, Martin Rock (Pleiades Press)
Original articles, interviews, selections from special collections and journal issues, and more are available in the Archives.