Help Us Close Our 2013 Gap!
Our annual goal of $55,000 in individual contributions represents a critical portion of our operating requirements. As of the end of November, we had received about $41,000 in individual contributions.
Please help us make up this $14,000 shortfall! For your year-end tax planning, remember that the Daily Poetry Association (publisher of Poetry Daily) is a 501(c)(3) corporation, and that your contribution is deductible.
We are grateful for your readership, and for your continuing support!
A Poetry Daily Prose Feature:
"Quoting the Portuguese writer and Nobel Prize winner José Saramago in the foreword to his latest collection, Derek Mahon writes: 'To write is always to translate, even when we are using our own language ... Our words convey mere fragments of reality on which our experience fed.' Relying on a different material, the two activities are however essentially linked in this perspective: if writing is the act of translating an experience into words, translating is the act of conveying the written account of this experience in another language, culture and moment."
—Florence Impens, Rebroadcast Voices
Poetry Daily Version 2.0 for iPhone and iPod Touch is now available!
Read the daily poem, save favorites, check news links, and more, even when you're on the go. Visit the iTunes Store to download the app, and let us know what you think!
Now you can follow PD on Twitter!
We'll keep you posted on key features and news as they appear on PD...
A new award for poetry criticism:
The Poetry Foundation announces the $7,500 Pegasus Award, presented annually to the author of the best book-length work of criticism published in the prior calendar year. (The Kansas City Star)
Vice President Biden urged to press Liu Xiaobo's case with Chinese:
Release of imprisoned dissident Nobel Laureate should be on agenda during visit to Beijing, say human rights groups. (The New York Times)
"Szybist listens and watches, feels the signs of something greater."
John Freeman on Mary Syzbist's Incarnadine, winner of the National Book Award. (The Boston Globe)
• From the PD archive and Incarnadine: "Conversion Figure"
Recently Arrived Titles
These just in... Highlighted titles may be purchased from Poetry Daily / Amazon.com. A complete list of all books and journals recently received at Poetry Daily is also available.
- Correspondence, Priscilla Frake (Mutabilis Press)
- Isthmus, Dan Rifenburgh (Mutabilis Press)
- Of: Vol. 1, Ossian Foley (Ugly Duckling Presse)
- Conjuring My Leafy Muse, Mary Meriam (Headmistress Press)
- The Daily Poet: Day-By-Day Prompts For Your Writing Practice, Kelli Russell Agodon and Martha Silano (Two Sylvias Press)
- Our Fear, Michael Autrey (The Cultural Society)
- Boomerangs in the Living Room, Rex Wilder (Red Hen Press)
- Interrogating Water: and other poems, Philip Fried (Salmon Poetry)
- The Dead Eat Everything, Michael Mlekoday (Kent State University Press)
- Pumpkin Chucking, Stephen Scaer (Able Muse Press)
- House Music, Ellen Kaufman (Able Muse Press)
- The Moons of August, Danusha Laméris (Autumn House Press)
- Homeland, LuAnn Keener-Mikenas (Louisiana Literature Press)
- Text(isles), Nancy Kassell (Dos Madres Press)
Original articles, interviews, selections from special collections and journal issues, and more are available in the Archives.